Hardly anyone wants to spend money on a roof replacement. Almost without exception, a new roof falls under the need column. Often, it doesn’t become a need before there is physical evidence that your roofing system is failing, such as unwanted water leaking into your home. While spending the money to fix the problem may not be enjoyable, it is more than necessary. Your home’s roof is the first line of defense against exterior elements. Without a functioning roofing system your homes interior could be at major risk.
What can happen if you wait?
A roofing system can fail months and sometimes years before water visibly enters your home. Not many homeowners schedule annual roof inspections as part of their home maintenance routines. Roof deterioration becomes evident by happenstance. Retrieving a Frisbee from the roof or cleaning out a clogged gutter may be your first opportunity to notice something amiss.
There are several signs when a roofing system begins to fail. This information will allow you to act and fix your roof before it is too late.
- Cupping Shingles – a normal wear pattern as shingles age. Shingles will appear concave in their center while the edges of the shingle curls upwards
- Curling shingles – raised shingles edges that curl downwards
- Failed Flashing – flashing is the metal sheathing placed over joints and around chimneys to prevent water from seeping inside of your home
- Lost Granules – this is a subtle sign that your shingles have reached the end of their life. As years pass shingles will lose more and more granules.
- Missing Shingles – if your roof is missing shingles, consider it an immediate cry for help! Leaving areas of your roof exposed increases the chance of a leak when inclement weather comes along.
- Algae and Moss Growth – this is most common in the Eastern United State, so Connecticut homeowners should be on the lookout. Algae appears as black streaks running down your roof while moss is easier to point out.
If you are experiencing any of these issues, pick up the phone and call Burr Roofing, Siding, & Windows today!