Outdoor lighting is a personal preference. The best starting point is to determine your goals.
1. Why are you installing outdoor lighting?
- Are you motivated by functionality or upgrading your aesthetic?
2. How much lighting is required?
- Are you trying to light your entire property or just a portion?
3. What mood do you want the lighting to create?
4. What landscape features do you want to highlight?
5. Is lighting for security a high priority?
6. Is power available where you need it? Is an electrician necessary?
There are 3 levels of lights:
- Low ambiance/accent – this is level one, mainly for aesthetic purposes.
- Functional lights/sconces – level two supports outdoor functionality. Turn your backyard into the want-to-be spot on hot summer nights.
- Flood light security for cleanup/sports – level three is the perfect choice for a homeowner worried about safety and security.
Where would you place yourself on this scale?